Manchego Cheese, Wine & Saffron
2 Days, 1 Nights
Places visited: Almagro, Consuegra, Madridejos, Illescas
- Travel comfortably through the Don Quixote trail, visiting an artisan Manchego cheese producer and a great local winery
- Stay at the delightful Parador in Almagro, a beautiful town famous for its picturesque main square and its 17th Century theatre
- If you come during the harvest season, visit the fields to pick the saffron flowers with the locals
- Enjoy a mouth-watering meal with a modern twist at a Michelin-starred restaurant
This tour through the heart of La Mancha invites you to enjoy a unique culinary experience.
You will visit an extraordinary Manchego cheese producer, whose cheeses are found at some of the world’s best gourmet stores and a prestigious La Mancha winery.
Spending a night at the Parador in Almagro is a true pleasure. This monumental town is famous for its picturesque main square and its truly unique theatre – the last one that still conserves its original 17th Century structure.
Admire La Mancha’s famous windmills – you will feel back in time, when Cervantes wrote Don Quixote.
During the saffron session – late October – you will have the opportunity to visit the fields and participate in the Saffron harvest.
Top up this tour with a mouth-watering lunch at Michelin-starred restaurant El Bohio
A delightful and memorable tour!
B =Breakfast L =Lunch D =Dinner
Manchego Cheese, Wine and beautiful Almagro
Depart from Madrid towards La Mancha with our private English-speaking chauffeur. At just over 1 hour from Madrid, you will stop in Tembleque to see its picturesque main square, which also serves as bullring, and enjoy a private visit to an artisanal Manchego cheese producer. You will learn how Manchego cheese is made using local Manchega sheep’s milk, and you will taste this world-famous cheese, of course! You will then continue to Valdepeñas to visit a winery elaborating some of La Mancha’s best wines. After the tutored wine tasting, you will enjoy a traditional lunch right at the bodega. On arrival to Almagro, once you check-in at the charming Parador – housed in a former Convent – you will have time to enjoy a walking tour of beautiful Almagro in the company of an English-speaking local guide. The evening is on your own to enjoy Almagro, we can suggest a good restaurant or simply pop in a few bars to enjoy the local tapas and wine.
Night in Almagro
Saffron, Windmills and a Michelin-starred meal
If you are traveling during the saffron season (October), then early this morning you’ll be off for your excursion to the saffron fields, nearby Consuegra. You will participate in the saffron harvest with the roseras, learning about the peeling and toasting process. Out of the saffron season, you will be visiting the Saffron Museum in Madridejos, to learn it all about this extraordinary product. In either case, you will have the opportunity to visit a universal icon of this region: one of the famous windmills of La Mancha, which Don Quixote fought with. On your way back to Madrid, you will stop in Illescas to enjoy a truly delicious lunch at restaurant El Bohio, one of the best restaurants in the region, awarded with 1 Michelin star. After lunch, it’s just a 45 min drive back to Madrid
The program includes:
- Private car with a friendly English-speaking chauffeur
- 1 night accommodation with breakfast included at Parador de Almagro
- 2 lunches with specially designed menus, accompanied with fine Spanish wines
- Culinary and cultural visits as per the itinerary
- English-speaking local guide for the walking tour of Almagro
- Entries to the monuments
- All local taxes
Our suggestions of additional local restaurants and activities, according to your taste
Available year-round however we highly recommend visiting us in October for the Saffron harvest.
Details & Prices
Price per person (land only, double occupancy, in Euros):
To Price Table
Booking your Cultural Journey with us is easy.
- Step 1 – Confirm Availability – check with us regarding your preferred dates for your party’s chosen tour, excursion or activity. Once we have confirmed your request, go to Step 2 to sign up.
- Step 2 – Registration Form – submit the registration form for your requested tour, excursion or activity along with your confirmed dates and number of people in the group. You will be asked to confirm that you have read and understand our Terms and Conditions .Upon submitting this form, go to Step 3 to make deposits or full payment.
- Step 3 – Payment – remit payment as per “Terms & Conditions”. We accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover — OR you may process your Deposit and subsequent Balance Due via PayPal
- Step 4 – Start packing!