Flavors of the Basque Countryside
One day culinary and culinary excursion from San Sebastian
Paces visited: Goierri region, Tolosa
- Visit a colorful farmers’ market and learn about the extraordinary local produce
- Meet a family running a Century-old Basque farm devoted to producing Slow Food protected local ham & charcuterie
- Savor a delicious home-made meal at the farmhouse, including a mouth-watering Tolosa black bean stew
- Relax and enjoy it all on a comfortable, chauffeured ride through rural Basque Countryside
Enjoy the beautiful landscape of mountain ranges that sourround green valleys dotted with caserios, the self-sufficient traditional Basque farms that were central to the local rural economy.
Learn all about it visiting a traditional farmers’ market, showcasing an exceptional variety of local seasonal produce, and then be welcomed at a family-run caserío devoted to recovering the indigenous Euskal Txerria-Basque pig, a Slow Food Presidium. You won’t forget the lunch that this family will cook for you.
A true inmersion in the roots of Basque food and traditions!
Meet your guide for a private chauffeured excursion to the Goierri region, a beautiful rural area, at just 45 minute drive South of San Sebastian.
Take a stroll through a traditional farmers’ market showcasing great local products, including vegetables, charcuterie, breads… and the delicious Idiazabal cheese, made with whole – raw milk from the Latxa and Carranzana local sheep breeds.
Visit a Basque farmhouse run by the same family since the 16th Century. By the hand of a member of the family, you will learn how Basque pigs are reared and understand the traditional role of these self-sufficient traditional Basque farms.
Then enjoy a very special home-made meal at the family’s Txoko – Basque dining room – including their ham and charcuterie, and other products from the farm such as the delicious local Tolosa black beans.
On the way back to San Sebastian, time allowing, stop in Tolosa, the town giving name to the local bean, also home of the Chocolate Museum and of one of the most famous Frontones – Jai Alai – a traditional Basque game exported by Basque emigrants to places such as Miami and the Philippines.
Enjoy it all in a laid-back atmosphere where you set the pace. When you’re ready, your driver will take you back to San Sebastian, where the journey ends.
The program includes:
- Local English-speaking guide, specialized in gastronomy
- Private chauffeured transportation throughout the itinerary
- Guided visit to a traditional farmers’ market
- Private visit to a Basque farm rearing Basque pigs, including tasting of their ham and charcuterie
- Lunch featuring the famous local Tolosa black bean, including selection of wines
- Stroll through the charming town of Tolosa
- All local taxes
Available upon request year round
To Price Table
Booking your Cultural Journey with us is easy.
- Step 1 – Confirm Availability – check with us regarding your preferred dates for your party’s chosen tour, excursion or activity. Once we have confirmed your request, go to Step 2 to sign up.
- Step 2 – Registration Form – submit the registration form for your requested tour, excursion or activity along with your confirmed dates and number of people in the group. You will be asked to confirm that you have read and understand our Terms and Conditions .Upon submitting this form, go to Step 3 to make deposits or full payment.
- Step 3 – Payment – remit payment as per “Terms & Conditions”. We accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover — OR you may process your Deposit and subsequent Balance Due via PayPal
- Step 4 – Start packing!