Basque Sea at Your Table
One day wine and culinary excursion from San Sebastian
Paces visited: Zarautz ~ Getaria
- Enjoy guided tasting sessions on private visits to local producers of Txakoli wines and Idiazabal cheeses
- Discover authentic Basque cuisine in a charming traditional restaurant by the sea in Getaria
- Relax and enjoy it all on a comfortable, chauffeured ride along the beautiful Basque coastline
If you’re looking to add a special treat to your stay in San Sebastian, we suggest a private guided day-trip along the Basque coast to discover the secrets of its most emblematic culinary wonders.
Learn all about Txakoli wines, blessed with the breeze of the Atlantic sea, on a private visit to a charming winery, including an illustrative tasting session. Move on to the picturesque fishing town of Getaria for a delicious traditional grilled fish lunch at the harbor, followed by a leisurely walk through the Medieval streets of the town’s center.
Finish off your stay with a ride along the rugged coast, sprinkled with breathtaking cliffs, secluded coves and charming fishing villages.
Meet your guide for a private chauffeured ride along the Basque coast. Before leaving San Sebastian, if so you wish, stop for a visit to El Peine de los Vientos (the Wind Comb), the impressive sculptures of famous artist Eduardo Chillida, and enjoy the magnificent views of the city from its spectacular setting.
Continue along the coastal route to the wine producing region of Getaria, known for its Txakoli, one of the world’s finest white wines. Learn all about it on a private visit to a family owned winery, set on the green hills of this stunningly beautiful wine region. Discover their Txakoli wines, made with local grapes varieties that grow on terraces overlooking the sea; a guided tasting by your friendly hosts will serve as a wonderful introduction.
After this, it’s time to savor the exceptional quality of another culinary icon of the area, for which Txakoli is a perfect match, grilled fish. Enjoy the day’s fresh fish at one of the traditional fish and seafood taverns overlooking the port of Getaria. With the help of our guide, make your own choice, according to your taste and seasonal availability.
After lunch, take a stroll through this enchanting fishing town, home to Elcano – the first sailor to circumnavigate the world. Enjoy its picturesque atmosphere and the fisherman’s houses with their beautiful wooden balconies.
Continue your ride along twisting roads, enjoying the damp verdant landscape, until reaching the former whale fishing port of Mutriku, offering a ravishing view of the most part of the Basque coast.
Enjoy it all in a laid-back atmosphere where you set the pace. When you’re ready, your driver will take you back to San Sebastian, where the journey ends.
The program includes:
- A friendly English-speaking guide, specialized in gastronomy, who’ll be joining you for activities throughout the trip
- Private, chauffeured transfers
- Visit to a Txakoli, with tasting session
- Personalized, pre-designed lunch menu at a traditional restaurant, including selection of fine regional wines
- Stroll through local villages, as per itinerary
- All local taxes
Available upon request year round
To Price Table
Booking your Cultural Journey with us is easy.
- Step 1 – Confirm Availability – check with us regarding your preferred dates for your party’s chosen tour, excursion or activity. Once we have confirmed your request, go to Step 2 to sign up.
- Step 2 – Registration Form – submit the registration form for your requested tour, excursion or activity along with your confirmed dates and number of people in the group. You will be asked to confirm that you have read and understand our Terms and Conditions .Upon submitting this form, go to Step 3 to make deposits or full payment.
- Step 3 – Payment – remit payment as per “Terms & Conditions”. We accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover — OR you may process your Deposit and subsequent Balance Due via PayPal
- Step 4 – Start packing!