Basque Country for Foodies
5 days of food and wine
Paces visited: San Sebastian & Bilbao
- Stay at an elegant classic 4* hotel in San Sebastian and a fashionable 5*in Bilbao, facing La Concha beach and the Guggenheim Museum
- Cook at a members-only Gastronomic Society, a tradition unique to the Basque Country
- Taste irresistible Pintxos (Basque tapas) at some of San Sebastian’s best bars
- Share a Txakoli wine with an artisan producer in an excursion to the beautiful Basque coast
- Be inspired by great local food strolling through colorful & lively food marketsA privately organized program – open to be tailored to your needs and preferences
Experience why the Basque Country is one of the most celebrated culinary regions in Europe.
A land of deep-rooted traditions, where the now famous Avant-Garde cuisine from Spain originated. San Sebastian alone houses two of the world’s 10 best restaurants, and is known as a top foodie destination.
This contrast between tradition and modernity reflects as well in the distinctive personalities of the two towns that you’ll visit: San Sebastian, with its elegant 19th century flavor, and Bilbao, a reference in contemporary urban renovation.
On this tour we will help you connect with the soul of the Basque Country through its food, allowing enough free time for you to make your own discoveries.
If you enjoy food and cooking, you’ll feel in Paradise!
B =Breakfast L =Lunch D =Dinner
San Sebastian, walking and pintxos tours
Check in at your elegant 4* hotel in San Sebastian, overlooking the spectacular La Concha beach. Meet our local English-speaking expert guide for a guided Pintxos tour, a gastronomic stroll through the old city center stopping at selected bars to taste Pintxos, the delicious Basque version of Tapas.
Night in San Sebastian
San Sebastian cooking experience
Start the day with a guided visit to La Brecha food market, the colorful vegetables from the Caseríos (Basque farmhouses) and the fresh seafood from the nearby fishing villages will definitely open your appetite! Join in a culinary tradition unique to the Basque Country: you’ll be welcomed to cook at a members-only Gastronomic Societies. You will learn about these ancient institutions while cooking traditional Basque recipes with the help of the cook of this Society. Then sit down with some fine Spanish wine and enjoy the dishes prepared as lunch.
Night in San Sebastian.
Basque coast & Txakoli wine
Start your day visiting El Peine de los Vientos, to admire these impressive sculptures by Basque artist Eduardo Chillida, and their spectacular setting by the Sea. From there you will enjoy a panoramic coastal route to the fishing town of Guetaria, well known for its Txakoli white wine, the perfect match for the remarkable variety of local seafood. Learn all about it on a private visit to a family-run Txakoli winery, set on the green hills of this beautiful wine region, overlooking the Atlantic sea. After tasting this local wine, enjoy a delicious lunch at a traditional fish and seafood tavern by the harbor, savor the day’s grilled fresh fish in this genuine setting. Before you return to San Sebastian, discover the old fishing tradition of this picturesque town, birthplace of Juan Sebastián Elcano – the first sailor to complete a round-the-world naval voyage.
Night in San Sebastian.
Bilbao & Europe’s largest food market
Today you’ll be moving on to Bilbao (just over one hour drive from San Sebastian), home of the spectacular Guggenheim Museum. Check-in at a modern 5* hotel, with elegant and contemporary interior design, conveniently located facing the Museum. Meet our local English-speaking guide for a walking tour of the winding streets of the historical city centre. You will visit La Ribera, the largest indoor food market in Europe, showcasing the best of local produce, including codfish (one of Bilbao´s main specialties), and an astonishing selection of meats. Top off your visit with a Pintxos tasting menu with a modern twist at a specialized restaurant, a different way of enjoying these irresistible little bites. Take some free time to rest, shop, or perhaps consider visiting the Guggenheim museum or the impressive art collection of the local Bellas Artes museum.
Night in Bilbao
Departure from Bilbao, end of tour
Your trip concludes after breakfast
The program includes:
- Local English-speaking expert guides joining you throughout the tour
- Private chauffeured transportation, as per the itinerary
- 4 nights’ accommodation at a 4*, elegant classic hotel in San Sebastian – sea view-room, and at a 5* fashionable hotel in Bilbao – Guggenheim museum view-room
- Breakfast daily
- 3 lunches (1 at the cooking class) and 1 dinner in the form of a Pintxos Tour, accompanied with fine Spanish wines
- Private cooking class, with your guide as interpreter for English
- Dossier with recipes in English, for you to practice at home!
- Private visit to a Txakoli winery, tasting included
- Other culinary and cultural visits and activities, as per the itinerary
- Gourmet Gift
- All local taxes
Our suggestions of additional local restaurants and activities, according to your taste
Available upon request year round
Details & Prices
Price per person (land only, double occupancy, in Euros):
To Price Table
Booking your Cultural Journey with us is easy.
- Step 1 – Confirm Availability – check with us regarding your preferred dates for your party’s chosen tour, excursion or activity. Once we have confirmed your request, go to Step 2 to sign up.
- Step 2 – Registration Form – submit the registration form for your requested tour, excursion or activity along with your confirmed dates and number of people in the group. You will be asked to confirm that you have read and understand our Terms and Conditions .Upon submitting this form, go to Step 3 to make deposits or full payment.
- Step 3 – Payment – remit payment as per “Terms & Conditions”. We accept American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover — OR you may process your Deposit and subsequent Balance Due via PayPal
- Step 4 – Start packing!